2015 Indigenous Mapping Workshop
The Chiefs of Ontario, the Firelight Group, and Google are co-hosting the 2nd annual Indigenous Mapping Workshop in Waterloo, Ontario in July 2015. The Indigenous Mapping Workshop will combine presentations by communities engaged in mapping projects, with technical training sessions on mapping cultural and natural aspects of indigenous communities.
Sessions will help you better understanding the following:
- Traditional land use and occupancy studies
- Environmental monitoring
- Shared decision-making
- Intergenerational education
Participants will have the opportunity to hear success stories, learn, and share best practices, and will receive a training on practical Google mapping tools, which participants can use to collect, host, visualize, share and publish their map data. The technical training will be co-led by members of the Google Earth Outreach team and the Firelight Group.
What: Indigenous Mapping Workshop in Canada
When: July 28-30, 2015
Where: Google office, Waterloo, Ontario
Application Process: To ensure effective dialogue and hands-on experience, there will be a limited number of seats. Interested candidates are asked to apply to attend the workshop. Applications will be accepted on a rolling admissions basis starting on April 24, 2015 until all workshop spots are filled. The selection committee will review each application and notify the applicant of their decision within a few weeks from submission.
Cost: Attendance is free. Participants, whose applications are accepted, will be responsible for travel and lodging expenses (if necessary).
Who should attend?
- Members of, or people working directly for, First Nations, Métis, and Inuit communities
- Decision-makers and mapping or technology specialists
- Those who demonstrate interest & ability to implement and make effective use of Google mapping technology within their community
- Those who are currently working on mapping projects, or are planning mapping projects in their communities.
For questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org