Position Title: Research Intern
Position Type: Full-time desired but negotiable
Position term: 6 months with the possibility of extension
Location: Vancouver, BC
Salary range: $18/hr.
Application Deadline: January 31, 2018
Position start date: As soon as possible
Summary: The Intern will undertake a variety of assignments and projects in support of Firelight’s research and operations. Excellent communication and organizational skills are a must, as is a good understanding of research processes and standards. The ideal candidate will be a self-starter who is proactive. Reporting to the Mentor and others as assigned, the Intern will work effectively both independently and as part of a team.
Job duties include:
- Assist with research, drafting of reports and proposals
- Provide logistical support with coordination of projects and events
- Work closely with Firelight researchers by providing support with interviews and other related field work (may require travel to remote communities)
- Information, data, and document management following established procedures
- Assist with transcribing interviews, and coding and analyzing interview data following established protocols
- Assist with Firelight internal and external communications
- Accountable for tracking and documenting personal hours and expenses
- Support with purchasing supplies and equipment, and a variety of office-related administrative assignments and tasks
- Sharing in normal office duties, like answering calls and keeping a functional workplace
- Share ideas for potential research and operational improvements, and implement where approved
- Other tasks and assignments as directed by the Mentor
Qualifications and skills required:
- University degree in a relevant field
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail and organizational skills
- Good understanding of research
- Works well independently and as part of a team
- Familiar with environmental issues and resource extraction in Canada
- Ability to work within a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Fluency with Microsoft Office, including Excel and Word.
- Experience with Indigenous issues and communities in Canada would be an asset
To apply: Please respond to our online Indeed.com ad with a resume and cover letter addressed to John Kelly, Operations Manager at https://ca.indeed.com/viewjob?t=research+intern&jk=bbb0e89d73e3204e&_ga=2.234065944.76792594.1516252122-1681146786.1513011905 by midnight on Wednesday, January 31st. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.
Firelight is committed to respecting diversity within our workforce and specifically to increasing the number of indigenous employees within our organization. As a result, we encourage all indigenous applicants to self-identify in our recruitment and staffing processes and preference may be given to these applicants.